GUIDELINES FOR THE RESEARCH PROPOSAL
The Research Proposal should be a clear and concise presentation of the applicant's proposed research.
The Proposal must include:
Provide an abstract of no more than 325 words outlining the applicant's proposed research.
Provide a description that is single-spaced (using 11-point Arial font) and limited to 5 pages total. Research proposals over 5 pages will not be accepted. Please add your bibliography to your proposal but do not include those pages in the 5-page limitation.
The proposal must include:
- Title of the proposed research
- Description of research objectives, including relevant literature, specific aims, study design, methodology, data, and projected results
- Discussion of the relevance of the proposed research to the objectives of the program (see the Scientific Focus section of this website
- Description of analytical methods (figures and tables should be included in the body of the text, where applicable)
- Description of potential research challenges and possible approaches for overcoming them
- Description of relevant past work by the applicant, including joint collaborations and references
- In an effort to maximize the research benefit of the award, the program encourages that every effort be made to minimize the utilization of the award to cover indirect costs. Indirect costs may not exceed 10% of the award value, and are included as part of the budget, not as an addition to the value of the award (subject to local variances to be approved by Gilead Sciences). Indirect costs are defined as overhead costs paid directly to the institution, for example maintenance of labs/space and departmental/admin costs
- The applicant may allocate up to USD 50,000 per year in salary and fringe benefits support for the researcher, technician, and/or collaborator (which may or may not include a post-doctoral fellow or student)
- Supplies such as disposables, chemicals, reagent kits, animals, etc., may be included
- Equipment purchases with a single item value of greater than USD 2,500 may not be included
- Up to USD 1,500 per year for applicant's travel to a scientific meeting for presentation of data may be included
If the research project includes investigations on human subjects, a copy of the submission to the institutional review board (IRB) must be submitted prior to award.
If the research project involves laboratory animals, researcher must certify that he/she will comply with all laws and regulations pertaining to the care and use of animals in research prior to award.
Job code: AU-ANF-2020-10-0005
Date of Prep: November 2020