The Research Proposal should be a clear and concise presentation of the applicant's proposed research.
Proposals utilizing Gilead product(s) are not eligible for funding through the Research Scholars Program. Proposals involving Gilead product(s) should be submitted for review under the Investigator-Sponsored Research Grant Program through the ISR online portal.
The Proposal must include:
Provide an abstract of no more than 325 words outlining the applicant's proposed research.
Proposal must be single-spaced (using 11 point Arial font or larger) and limited to 5 pages total, not including the bibliography or budget. Research proposals over 5 pages will not be accepted. Please include your bibliography with the research proposal but do not count these pages in the 5 page total.
The proposal must include:
- Title of the proposed research
- Description of research objectives, including relevant literature, specific aims, study design, methodology, data, and projected results
- Discussion of the relevance of the proposed research to the objectives of the program (see the Scientific Focus section of this website)
- Description of analytical methods (figures and tables should be included in the body of the text, where applicable)
- Description of potential research challenges and possible approaches for overcoming them
- Description of relevant past work by the applicant, including joint collaborations and references
Each selected Awardee is funded up to $130,000 USD* (inclusive of any indirect costs), to be paid in two annual instalments of up to $65,000 USD* per year directly to the researcher's institution. Funding for the second year is contingent upon submission of a progress report by each junior faculty researcher and approval by the Chair of the Scientific Review Committee.
- In an effort to maximize the research beneﬁt of the award (and where permitted by local regulation) the program encourages that every effort be made to minimize the utilization of the award to cover indirect costs. Indirect costs may not exceed 10% of the award value. This award is developed as a gift and is not considered a research grant.
- The applicant may allocate up $50,000 USD (subject to local country terms and conditions) per year in salary and fringe benefits support for the applicant and/or a lab tech or similar position type.
- Salaries and fringe benefits for mentors or students may not be included
Supplies such as disposables, chemicals, reagent kits, animals, etc, may be included.
Purchases of durable equipment is not allowed within the budgets, however, the budget can support rental/lease of this durable equipment.
- Durable equipment would be lab tools and devices that are designed for use over a long period of time (e.g. many years), being resistant to wear and generally would be items that can be rented
- Durable equipment excludes lab supplies and similar single-use or disposable products
- Equipment purchases with a single item value of greater than $2,500 USD may not be included. Rental of equipment is preferred where possible
- Up to $1,500 USD per year for applicant’s travel to a scientific meeting for presentation of data may be included
- If the research project includes investigations on human subjects, a copy of the submission to the institutional review board (IRB) must be submitted prior to award. Award will be contingent upon IRB approval.
- If the research project involves laboratory animals, researcher must certify that he/she will comply with all laws and regulations pertaining to care and use of animals in research prior to award.
*Award value is subject to country regulations
November 2023, IHQ-UNB-4995