The Research Proposal should be a clear and concise presentation of the applicant's proposed research.
The Proposal must include:
Provide an abstract of no more than 325 words outlining the applicant's proposed research.
Provide a description that is 1.5 spaced (using 12 point Arial font) and limited to 8 pages total. Research proposals over 8 pages will not be accepted. Please add your bibliography to your proposal but do not include those pages in the 8 page limitation. Please add your bibliography to your proposal but do not include those pages in the 8-page limitation.
The proposal must include:
- Title of the proposed research
- Description of research objectives, including relevant literature, specific aims, study design, methodology, data, and projected results
- Discussion of the relevance of the proposed research to the objectives of the program (see the Scientific Focus section if this website)
- Description of analytical methods (figures and tables should be included in the body of the text, where applicable)
- Description of potential research challenges and possible approaches for overcoming them
- Description of relevant past work by the applicant, including joint collaborations and references
Each selected Awardee is funded up to $130,000 USD (inclusive of any indirect costs), to be paid in two annual instalments of up to $65,000USD per year directly to the researcher's institution. Funding for the second year is contingent upon submission of a progress report by each junior faculty researcher and approval by the Chair of the Scientific Review Committee.
- In an effort to maximize the research beneﬁt of the Award (and where permitted by local regulation) the Program encourages that every effort be made to minimize the utilization of the Award to cover indirect costs. Indirect costs may not exceed 10% of the Award value, and are included as part of the budget, not as an addition to the value of the Award
- The applicant may allocate up to $50,000 USD (subject to local country terms and conditions) per year in support for a research assistant or technician.
- Salaries and fringe benefits support for mentors, post-doctoral fellows, or students may not be included.
- Supplies such as disposables, chemicals, reagent kits, animals, etc, may be included.
- Equipment purchases with a single item value of greater than $2,500 USD may not be
- Up to $1,500 per year for applicant’s travel to a scientific meeting for presentation of data may be included.
Human and Animal Studies:
If the research project includes investigations on human subjects, a copy of the submission to the institutional review board (IRB) must be submitted prior to award.
If the research project involves laboratory animals, researcher must certify that he/she will comply with all laws and regulations pertaining to care and use of animals in research prior to award.