The Research Proposal must be submitted using the provided guidelines.
Proposals utilising Gilead product(s) are not eligible for funding through the Research Scholars Program. Proposals involving Gilead product(s) should be submitted for review under the Investigator-Sponsored Research Grant Program through the ISR online portal.
The Proposal must include:
Provide an abstract of no more than 325 words outlining the applicant's proposed research.
Proposal must be submitted using the provided guidelines. It should single-spaced, using 11 point Arial font, and limited to 5 pages total - not including the bibliography or budget. Research proposals over 5 pages will not be accepted. Please include your bibliography with the research proposal but do not count these pages in the 5 page total.
The proposal must include:
- Title of the research project
- Description of relevant past work by the applicant, including joint collaboration and references
- Introductory Statement, Background, Preliminary Data, and Rationale
- Specific Aims
- Research Design and Methods
- Significance and Statement of Relevance
Each selected Awardee is funded up to $180,000 USD (inclusive of any indirect costs), to be paid in two annual instalments of up to $90,000 USD per year directly to the researcher's institution. Funding for the second year is contingent upon submission of a progress report by each junior faculty researcher and approval by the Chair of the Scientific Review Committee.
An itemised budget must be submitted with the proposal, consistent with the following guidelines:
In an effort to maximise the research benefit of the award, the program encourages that every effort be made to minimise the utilisation of the award to cover indirect costs. Indirect costs may not exceed 10% of the award value. This award is developed as a gift and is not considered a research grant
- The applicant may allocate up to $ 75,000 USD per year in salary and fringe benefits support for the applicant and/or a lab tech or similar position type
- Salaries and fringe benefits for mentors or students may not be included
Supplies such as disposables, chemicals, reagent kits, animals, etc, may be included.
Purchases of durable equipment is not allowed within the budgets, however, the budget can support rental/lease of this durable equipment.
- Durable equipment would be lab tools and devices that are designed for use over a long period of time (e.g. many years), being resistant to wear and generally would be items that can be rented
- Durable equipment excludes lab supplies and similar single-use or disposable products.
- Equipment purchases with a single item value of greater than $2,500 USD may not be included. Rental of equipment is preferred where possible.
- Up to $1,500 USD per year for applicant's travel to a scientific meeting for presentation of data may be included
If the research project includes investigations on human subjects, a copy of the submission to the Institutional Review Board (IRB) must be submitted prior to award. Award will be contingent upon IRB approval.
If the research project involves laboratory animals, researcher must certify that he/she will comply with all laws and regulations pertaining to care and use of animals in research prior to award.
September 2022, IHQ-UNB-2550