In their evaluation, the Committee will consider the following criteria:
Criterion 1: Evaluation of the Applicant
- Potential for a career in Public Health focused on either HIV or viral hepatitis related research
- Record of high quality academic, clinical (if relevant) and research delivery/performance
- Prior training, research experience, and/or publications
Criterion 2: Evaluation of the Mentor Support and Mentoring Plan
- Letter of support from mentor which includes: mentor's track record of productivity, funding, and success with prior trainees; detailed description of the mentoring plan, including resources allocated to the proposed research project, provision of protected time, and available laboratory facilities.
- The mentor is an independent investigator.
- The mentor has the experience to direct the proposed research training, as evidenced by the letter of support.
- The mentoring plan is sufficient to facilitate the applicant's progress toward his/her research career goals.
- Letter of support from the department chair or division chief to document the institution is willing and has the ability to commit the resources necessary for the applicant to complete the proposed research, including sufficient protected time.
Criterion 3: Evaluation of the Proposal
- Strong scientific premise for the project
- Proposed research question, design, and methodology are novel, scientifically significant, creative, and of technical merit
- Research plan is relevant to the applicant’s research career objectives
- Research plan is appropriate to the stage of research development and as a vehicle for developing the research skills described in the career development plan
- Research plan addresses an area of health priority and scientific importance to low-middle income countries
- If it is anticipated that the applicant’s research project will involve human subjects, applicants should describe how they will receive education in the protection of human subjects and obtain approval from an institutional (or ethical) review board at the institution where the research will be conducted