The Research Proposal should be a clear and concise presentation of the applicant's proposed research.
The Proposal must include:
Provide an abstract of no more than 325 words outlining the applicant's proposed research.
Proposal must be single-spaced (using 11 point Arial font or larger) and limited to 5 pages total, not including the bibliography or budget. Research proposals over 5 pages will not be accepted. Please include your bibliography with the research proposal but do not count these pages in the 5 page total.
The proposal must include:
- Title of the proposed research
- Description of research objectives, including relevant literature, specific aims, study design, methodology, data, and projected results
- Discussion of the relevance of the proposed research to the objectives of the program (see the Scientific Focus section of this website)
- Description of analytical methods (figures and tables should be included in the body of the text, where applicable)
- Description of potential research challenges and possible approaches for overcoming them
- Description of relevant past work by the applicant, including joint collaborations and references
An itemized budget must be submitted with the proposal, consistent with the following guidelines:
- In an effort to maximize the research benefit of the award, the program encourages that every effort be made to minimize the utilization of the award to cover indirect costs. Indirect costs may not exceed 10% of the award value. This award is developed as a gift and is not considered a research grant
- The applicant may allocate salary support annually in accordance with local customary compensation and fringe benefits support for the applicant and/or a technician
- Salaries and fringe benefits for mentors, post-doctoral fellows, or students may not be included
- Supplies such as disposables, chemicals, reagent kits, animals, etc, may be included
- Equipment purchases with a single item value of greater than $2,500 USD may not be included
Travel and Training:
- Up to $1,500 USD per year for awardee travel to a scientific meeting for presentation of data may be included. Applicants may include costs to support training up to $2,500 USD per year
Other Allowable Costs:
- Applicants may include costs to support mentored research projects. Costs should not exceed $10,000 USD per year
If the research project includes investigations on human subjects, a copy of the submission to the institutional review board (IRB) must be submitted prior to award. Award will be contingent upon IRB approval
The above are only guidelines for all eligible regions for this program. Should you be successful then all budget guidelines would be subject to your individual country rules and regulations.